Hello & welcome to “In Art This Week Episode 1 – 18/01/2019”
In this series of “In Art This Week” we will cover 3 of the top stories in Arts & Culture from that given that week. Stay tuned as we keep you up to date with the art world ranging from the weird & wonderful to the crazy and extreme.
1. Kanye West donates $10m for James Turrell art installation
- Kanye West has donated $10m (£7.77m) to the creation of a major work of land art by James Turrell.
- The money will fund the ongoing construction of the installation in Arizona,
- the project is a controlled environment for the experiencing of light.
- The completed work will comprise a series of 21 viewing spaces connected by six tunnels,
- creating “a vast, naked eye observatory for celestial objects
2. Van Gogh’s most important painting leaves Europe for the first time
- The Sunflowers (1888) is the best-loved painting in London’s National Gallery.
- National Gallery’s Sunflowers heads to Japan where it is likely to be seen by around a million people
- It sells more postcards than any other of the gallery’s pictures
- The Sunflowers will be missed when it is flown off to Japan in 2020
- as the lead work in the National Gallery’s touring exhibition of 60 paintings at Tokyo’s National Museum of Art.
3. Sotheby’s Will Sell a Complete Set of all the Skateboard Decks Supreme Has Ever Produced
- All 248 Supreme decks, some of which were designed in collaboration with artists, will be sold as a single lot.
- Sotheby’s is offering a complete archive of all the skateboard decks produced by the streetwear brand Supreme from the past 20 years.
- it will sell online through January 25 at an estimated price of $800,000 to $1.2 million (and the buyer will not have to pay the house’s usual auction premium).
- The Los Angeles collector and skateboard enthusiast Ryan Fuller assembled the extensive collection
- The collection also includes monogram decks from Supreme’s collaboration with Louis Vuitton and a special Last Supper deck released only in Japan, among other rare editions.